Bamboo is a very unique and often misunderstood plant. Many people still have the idea that all bamboo is invasive, when in fact, there are two separate types of bamboo. Clumping, non invasive bamboo and running bamboo.
Running bamboo spreads from an underground rhizome which travels in an unpredictable direction and as much as 6 metres in a season. Culms will grow through the surface at varying intervals along the length of that rhizome, spreading beyond the original plant - producing the running bamboo grove.
Clumping bamboo produce short, upward curving rhizomes that grow out of the soil to become the culms, forming a clump immediately around the original plant. Therefore clumping bamboo cannot physically run and will stay in a clump where you plant the original bamboo.
With our blocks becoming increasingly smaller, the need for privacy screens, shade, noise barriers and wind breaks has increased as well.
This is where clumping bamboo comes in. It is fast becoming the most popular choice for anyone wanting to enjoy a "Hedge in a Hurry" to block out neighbours, buildings or fences, or to simply have their gardens stand out from the crowd!
Benefits of using Bamboo in your Garden:
- Clumping bamboo is the fastest growing land plant (The fastest way for privacy!)
- Clumping Bamboo can be planted any time of the year (even winter!)
- Bamboo makes great windbreaks, noise barriers and privacy screens
- Some species can be planted in as little width as 40cm for an upright, narrow and effective screen
- Bamboo is a drought tolerant plant once established
- They are useful for soil stability on dam walls and river banks
- Bamboo can be trimmed, hedged, cleaned out or sculptured if desired
- Bamboo has no common pests or diseases
- Bamboo is beautiful and versatile! The cut poles are used for building, furniture and craftwork,
the edible shoots used for delicious cooking and the pulp fibre used to create luxuriousness material for clothing, bedding and more! (Grab a pair of socks or undies from our giftshop!)
Dendrocalamus minor var amoenus is a stunningly beautiful, ornamental, clumping bamboo that enhances almost any landscape situation. It is one of the worlds most beautiful tropical looking bamboos and is also one of the easiest to grow. Only gets to 8 mtrs with a tight clumping habit. If you are read more